How a Garbage Disposer Works
Many people think a garbage disposal works like a blender, with spinning blades chopping and breaking down the waste. In reality garbage disposals work in a different way-and there are NO blades involved. Instead, impellers (or lugs) mounted on a spinning plate use centrifugal force to continuously force food waste particles against a stationary grind ring. The grind ring breaks down the food waste into very fine particles-virtually liquefying them. After they are ground, the running water flushes the particles through the grind ring and out of the disposer and into your wastewater pipe. From there it flows to the wastewater treatment plant or your septic system.
Garbage disposals are an environmentally responsible alternative to typical disposal methods like landfills. And, they can help reduce greenhouse gas emissions. Food waste is even being processed and used for renewable power by many wastewater treatment plants.
Choose the InSinkErator disposal Unit that’s right for you
Disposer Do’s & Don’ts
Tips for Trouble-Free Operation.
Operating your disposer
- Run disposer along with a moderate flow of cold water. Continue to run cold water for a few seconds after grinding is complete.
- Avoid using hot water when grinding food waste, it is OK to drain hot water into the disposer between grinding periods.
- Never pour grease or fat into your disposer or drain
- Use a disposer cleaner to relieve objectionable odors caused by build-up, or grind citrus fruit peels to freshen up drain area
- If your disposer stops grinding check the re-set button on the bottom of the unit (under your Sink)
- If your unit sound different or you know something is caught inside the unit CALL: MATENAER PLUMBING INC, AT 920-533-3344
|Multi Grind Technology
|Multi Grind Technology Plus
|Everyday food waste scraps|
|Vegetable Peels||Avoid grinding large amounts at one time — gradually feed peels in while disposer and water are both running|
|Fibrous Materials (Celery, corn husks, artichokes)||Avoid grinding||Avoid grinding large amounts|
|Hard Materials (Bones, fruit pits)||Avoid grinding large amounts|
|Stop worrying about what food you can or can’t put in your disposer|